Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Language... (final part) - Personal Note

On a personal note, I myself am interested in exploring these two models in the context of the linguistic problems in this country. It is my thesis that many of the original suspicions between our people groups were fueled by language. I invite you to join in making your life work in some way relate to getting us out of this mess and prospering in the new economy free of a digital divide.

A new manifestation of the Esparanto solution to human language translation is something called the Universal Networking Language (UNL). Its aim is to express all web content in this language and provide translators between this and our own local language in what could be a significant effort in internationalization (I18N) of the Internet.

The second approach is very knowledge intensive. Particularly, knowledge of linguistics! Since I am not gifted with this ability, I propose to implement a first-pass translation between primarily Sinhala and Tamil (later with English) using an approach known as text alignment. It is a statistical pattern matching technique that attempts to model translation using a corpus of parallel (human translated) text in two languages.

No comments: